7.08.2008

FISA

The Senate is going to take up the FISA bill tomorrow - and Obama is expected to be there and vote for it. I know he's been catching flak for his support of the bill because it includes the immunity for phone companies that went along with illegal wiretaps (which he opposes) - but it doesn't really bother me. It's my understanding that the bill is pretty good going forward (i.e. includes increased judicial review of any requests instead of in-house DOJ approval that W wanted) but is less than ideal looking back because of the immunity provision. There are several amendments pending that will strip the immunity clause or make it conditional on a 3rd party review of the facts and I wouldn't be surprised if Obama voted for those - they lose - and then he votes for the final version. Senate Intel Chairman Rockefeller supports the immunity provision - but Harry Reid is against the whole package. Overall, if Obama does as expected I don't have a problem with it ... he's always been open to compromise and I doubt he'll want to miss the forest for the trees. And he can always appease the left by voting for the amendments.

A more cynical view I've heard is that Obama expects to be President and wouldn't mind the extra powers. That does seem a little outrageous ....

No comments: