7.09.2008

FISA Update

Just as I predicted (a no brainer), Obama voted for the Dodd, Specter, and Binghaman amendments - which failed ... but then voted for the overall bill - which passed. That way he's registered his objection to the immunity provisions, but agreed to the final version - not missing the forest for the trees.

HRC voted against it - and McCain did not vote.

Update: Greenwald over at Salon is pretty pissed about this. Again - I agree that the immunity provision isn't ideal (and I do wonder why the Democratic controlled congress can't do what it wants) - and think that the biggest problem with it isn't giving companies immunity but instead it covers up any info on administration wrongdoing that would have come out in any trials. That said, as far as describing the bill as authorizing "warrantless wiretaps" - I just haven't seen anyone describe why this bill is as bad as what the Administration was already doing (can anyone help me?). I mean, as far as I know the President still has to go to the FISA court - and that's a step up from what W was (or wasn't) doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Total Obama apologist :)

CVH

ePublius said...

Hey - if someone can dig up info on why the underlying bill is bogus - I'll take it. But so far the immunity thing is the only downside and I don't think it's that big of a downside