1.27.2010

What's the Most Effecient Way to Kill Cows?


Back when I was a junior in college I took a whole philosophy class on David Hume. I don't remember much about the class aside from a comment my professor made about an autistic woman who - for some reason that was relevant to the discussion - was very good at designing efficient ways to slaughter animals. Well today, Talk of the Nation had Dr. Temple Grandin on ... an autistic professor at Colorado State who is a consultant to the livestock industry and animal activist. Her autism allows her to think like animals and construct the stockades in such a way that the cows have less stress as they are led to slaughter. This has to be the lady my professor was talking about back then. Fascinating.

Oh, and Claire Danes is going to play her in an HBO biopic next week.

No comments: