1.11.2010

NYC Cavemen


My good friend Syd O turned me on to CrossFit, which I love, and I even tried the caveman diet for a while (which I loved until I got a parasite). So, I'm always interested to read up on others who are interested in living according to our (perceived) evolutionary genetic history. Thus, the NYT has a cool article on some "cavemen" living in Manhattan - eating raw ground beef, fasting to mimic hardship, throwing rocks for exercise, etc. A part of me loves this: the philosophy behind it is plausible, it's manly, and I love unconventional, dedicated people. However, on the other hand, it's got to be insulting to our caveman ancestors to have Manhattan hipsters, opening up the deep freezer to get some Whole Foods ground beef, running across the Brooklyn Bridge in the snow, and then playing catch with rocks in Central Park in order to "mimic" paleo-man. I know very few can live on a farm, chop wood and kill their meat ... but considering the dedication these folks have, living a caveman life in NYC seems like a big charade.

1 comment:

Syd O said...

I'm sure if they put together the dollars it takes to live Manhattan or the trendier areas of Brooklyn they could easily afford some acres and do it the right way.