12.17.2008

Thoughts on Torture

Ross has a post on his mixed feelings about the Administration's torture "policy" - and I think it's a really honest piece.
But anyone who felt the way I felt after 9/11 has to reckon with the fact that what was done in our name was, in some sense, done for us - not with our knowledge, exactly, but arguably with our blessing. I didn't get what I wanted from this administration, but I think you could say with some justification that I got what I asked for. And that awareness undergirds - to return to where I began this rambling post - the mix of anger, uncertainty and guilt that I bring to the current debate over what the Bush Administration has done and failed to do, and how its members should be judged.
Plus, it's the first time I've heard the term Jus In Bello since college.

No comments: