1.12.2009

More Stimulus Politics

Noam Scheiber has a good post over at TNR that meanders through a bunch of relevant issues concerning the stimulus - and he joins the growing crowd of pundits claiming Obama's plan isn't big enough:
On the other hand, if I were Obama's political advisor, I'd probably argue for a bill that could pass by wide margins, too. The political system just isn't set up to handle anything as radical as I'm proposing. Worse, Obama faces a lose-lose proposition. If he were somehow able to get twice as much money as he's asking for and avoid the crisis a lot of us fear, then his critics would say it wasn't necessary. And if he doesn't spend enough and we do go off a cliff, he also gets blamed. I'd probably want a big majority in my corner under those circumstances, too.

No comments: