2.24.2009

Brooks

David Brooks has one of his best columns today that I've seen in a long time. Basically, Brooks - a good Burkean conservative - is concerned about the comprehensive, swift, changes the Obama administration must implement because he's skeptical of the liberal idea that technocrats can implement effective policies. Our epistomology is limited, the problems are too complicated, and officials (non lobbyists) are barely acquainted with the political process. Read the article, I think it's very honest - especially how he admits that because the problems are so vast that he has to root against his politics and for Obama's - and America's - success.

I've held these fears as well. But, the problem is that while we may harbor these uncertainties, the situtation now doesn't allow us to fail to act. This is why, while I have some Burke in me, I've had to go along with Obama's plan. At least he's trying something. The conservatives in Congress offer zero alternatives to broad, swift action - and Burkean incrementalism doesn't help reassure the markets. Therefore, fears aside, we have to act and hope for the best.

No comments: